Frog Eye Salad
Give it a chance, it tastes better than the name eludes to. This is a great salad to take for a picnic or barbecue.
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings 12 -16
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (46 oz) can unsweetened pineapple juice, separate out 1 3/4 cups
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package acini de pepe pasta
- 3 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
In a sauce pan, combine sugar, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 3/4 cup pineapple juice and eggs. Stir and cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and cool to room temperature.
Bring remaining pineapple juice and water to a boil, add oil, remaining salt and cook pasta until al dente. Rinse under cold water and drain.
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, egg mixture. In another medium bowl, combine mandarin oranges and pineapple. Refrigerate both overnight or until chilled.
Once chilled, mix fruit into pasta mixture, add whipped topping and marshmallows and mix well.